Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mojitos & Tapas Bar & Grill

Today, my wife, sister and I went to visit Mojitos & Tapas Restaurant & Bar in Warrenton, VA. We were looking for a "foodie" kind of place, and after a search on my phone, I came across it on http://Foodio54.com, who had great things to say about it.

Ambiance: Mood and decor were great, it had an "outdoor seating in Cuba" kind of vibe. The music was pretty cool, traditional Latin folk and jazz, interspersed with the occasional Mariah Carey-esque balladry.

Service: We were seated quickly, and drink orders taken promptly. My sister ordered a mojito, and my wife and I ordered Cuban coffee. The mojito came out within 5 minutes, but it took about 25 minutes to get the Cuban coffees. Ordering a soda or water would have been a better idea.

Cuisine: The food is available on a standard menu of items, or on a tapas menu. We wanted to go the tapas route, so my wife ordered meat-filled potato croquettes, and a couple of empanadas, chicken & beef. I ordered a crab cake and steak sliders. My sister got the Cuban sandwich, or "The Cubano" from the standard menu.

The food came out in a reasonable amount of time, it was hot, and cooked to order. On a 5/5, I would give the food a 4/5, it was very tasty, with a lot of great flavors and spice. Although, my wife is not a fan of cilantro, and felt that there was a little too much of it used as garnish. The steak sliders were ok, but didn't blow me away, although the crab cake was nicely done. The empanadas were good and had a good flavor profile, but it was slightly overwhelmed by the deep-fried shell.

Cost-effective: Not really - it was kind of expensive for a lunch - $60 for 3, not including tip.

Overall Score: I'm giving an overall score of 4/5. We were hoping for that "foodie" restaurant where culinary artists are pushing out the best in taste and innovative cuisine. What we found was a decent place to eat - no crime in that. Also, the Cuban Coffee that took 25 mins to serve was disappointing, especially because no alternatives were offered during the wait. I am hopeful that Mojitos will continue to develop their best culinary and business potential. This place could be the major culinary draw of Warrenton, and I'd love to see that happen.

Return Visit: We would like to try it again.

Food Muser
http://foodmuser.blogspo…

No comments:

Post a Comment