Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Copper Fish

My wife and I visited The Copper Fish today for lunch. We were intrigued when we saw the small restaurant in Old Town Culpeper, VA on a previous day visit.

Ambiance - Amazing, Mediterranean fisherman-meets-historic Culpeper feel. Excellent, warm lighting. Lots of daylight from the plate glass windows in the restaurant front.

Cuisine - The food was fresh, flavorful, and the servings were generous. The attentive wait staff will bring you a fresh in-house made corn muffin, incredible. My wife and I ordered the Fresh Corn & Bacon Hush puppies (because who wouldn't?!). These come in a set of 4, and they are slightly smaller than a tennis ball. The slightly savory/slightly sweet taste lended back to the corn muffin, but had the added smokiness, courtesy of the chunks of bacon.

I ordered the Fish Tacos, which come with the fish of the day - Tuna. These are served as a set of 2, on flour tortillas, with pico de gallo, avocado, lettuce, and a tzaziki-like sauce. As a side that comes with, I ordered the Potatoes Gratin with fennel. The tacos were good, I left one tortilla behind, so as to muscle down the remaining tuna and avocado. The potatoes were the star though...a delicate taste, a slight sweetness brought on by the fennel, with a very silky cheese sauce baked with scalloped potatoes, slightly al dente - very nice.

Overall, I'm definitely a fan. My wife was too, after her Jerk Chicken Sandwich with Pineapple and Mango Chutney.

If I were to offer any criticism, it would be to reduce the amount of oil and deep frying used in the preparation and cooking. I was a little surprised that the tuna on the taco was deep fried, when I'd assumed it would be grilled. The hush puppies, while amazing, needed significant blotting. The flavor profile of amazing food should always be the star.

Cost-Effectiveness - A little pricey for lunch, but definitely well-worth it, especially for an adventurous day of spoiling my wife. We'll be back:)

Food Muser
http://foodmuser.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment